DrainStone is a pervious concrete designed to allow water to flow through to base materials. This is an aesthetically pleasing, highly functional and environmentally friendly option for a variety of pathways and parking areas.
An open cell concrete with a range of 15 to 25% voids allows for a flow rate up to 320 L/m2 per minute. When rainwater naturally filters into the soil, storm water collection systems can be reduced or eliminated. DrainStone can be made with 14mm, 12mm or 6mm aggregate, providing a smooth surface profile while maintaining good aggregate interlock for improved durability.
- Pedestrian walkways
- Parking areas
- Reduces quantity and contamination of storm water runoff
- Reduces, and sometimes eliminates, the cost of storm water management systems
- Reduces surface temperature and heat island effect
- Decreases lighting requirements
- Pervious concrete: albedo surface reflectivity index (0.35+)
- Asphalt: albedo surface reflectivity index (0.04 – 0.12)
- Qualifies for LEED credits (SS 6.1)